Tuesday, March 15, 2005

State of The Blogosphere Part 1: Growth of Blogs

Technorati's Dave Sifry (who has left comments on this blog regarding Technnorati Tags) has written an interesting post on rapid growth of blogs as counted by Technorati. There are apparently 30-40 thousand blogs created every day. If you discount Bungers' spoof blogs that's still at least 25K per day!

The number of blogs in the world is doubling every five months which you would think means New Links will have even more competition for readers but I saw another study a while back that reckoned the number of blog readers is growing at an even faster pace than the number of bloggers so there should be plenty of new readers for everyone. Yay!

Part two of the article will be about frequency of posting which should give a good measure of how many of those new blogs actually ever get updated. There are so many dead blogs out there that have only one or two posts. We are just over a year old yet hit over 3000 posts ages ago so there's no fear of that here. I would tell you how many posts we have done to date but the post stats are like pretty much everything else on Blogger these days - broken. Come on Google spend some money - we want to see how much crap we've written!

via Boing Boing

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooops...most of those dead blogs are probably mine :P

BTW...what ypou said...I just posted da link :P

mmChronic said...

Between you and Bungers you must account for half the dead blogs on Blogger! ;)

I've just spotted the link in your multi post. Oops. In my defence I was writing it up while you were posting so I didn't see it - and after I'd went to the bother of writing it I was going to post regardless! ;)

Unknown said...

hehe no worries...

btw I absent mindedly erased Nick Owen and Derek Achora from my blog list...in a fit of pique one drunken evening..

Is there away to get 'em back ?

Just wondering....

mmChronic said...

Haven't the foggiest - but if it isn't listing a blog name with 'Undelete' next to it I'd guees probably not.

I would email Blogger support see if they can do anything.

bungers said...

derek pagora had one post, and THAT WAS IT. Rubbish. I had big hopes for that blog...