Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Commonly Confused Words Test

The Commonly Confused Words Test is a 40 question, multiple choice test that asks you to distinguish between words like there,they're and their. Easy peasy. My results were:
English Genius You scored 100% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 77% Expert!

You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

My test tracked 4 variables: How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 62% on Beginner
You scored higher than 19% on Intermediate
You scored higher than 40% on Advanced
You scored higher than 68% on Expert


There's a full explanation of all the questions and answers here - don't cheat and read them first!

via Veritatis splendor!

8 comments:

Newcastle Photos said...

w00t. 100% for me too. Although 5 or 6 of them were what you would call an educated guess. See here for full details.

Stupid comments.

hypersloth said...

100% on beginner, intermediate, and advanced, but only 77 on expert. Odd. Results here.

hypersloth said...

Stupid comments, indeed..

mmChronic said...

Looks like Hyper has been promoted to NewLinks' Grammar Nazi. ;)

The rest of the NewLinkers must be too scared to put their English skills to the test.

mmChronic said...

I demand everyone takes it again after quite a few phat ones - or it's not a level playing field. My Alzheimer's is great though. ;)

So with the extremely high level of literacy on New Links (compared to the fact that 98% of the blogs in the world are written in txt speak) you'd think we'd have some posts wouldn't you?

hypersloth said...

Ouch, that stings. For the record, I was completely unplugged this past weekend, camping. It was great - 10 guys, and no girls allowed - but now that I'm back, I've had to spend extra time with my girlfriend, and we live together, so it's already a lot...

Gabeprime said...

Cool test! I got 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 77% Expert. Does that qualify me for the grammar police?

mmChronic said...

It shouldn't sting too much - it wasn't aimed at you specifically - it was a general moan. You should know by now I o taht a lot! ;)

I'm going to redo countdown corner as the amount of time since everybody last posted. Probably. ;)

Did you have a good camping trip? We should be starting our camping weekends fairly soon weather permitting.

GeeJay: Easily good enough for the Grammar Police. So with so many literate people around why is the interwebs a glorious example of illiteracy?