Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Surf At Work

Yesterday I was surfing from my laptop at home whilst I was at work using Tight VNC over SSH (OpenSSH) and it worked quite well. There's a good tutorial on that here with links to all the required software but my advice is ignore the cygwin installation and go straight for the standalone Windows port of OpenSSH. The only problems I had with setting OpenSSH up was with crud left in my registry by cygwin - if you don't install cygwin the OpenSSH install works a treat.

The only problem is the awfully slow screen update. Today I'll be having a look at this article on "How to Bypass Most Firewall Restrictions and Access the Internet Privately" which should help me address that.

I've seen this one before and it was about setting up an encrypted proxy server at home, pointing your browser at that and encryping all your web surfing. So I went looking for this article to get some pointers as to which proxy software to use and how to set it up.

Well the article has been updated - and I don't have to do much more than I already have. The tutorial shows you how to set up connection forwarding without the need for a proxy server. The request is made by your browser at one end of the tunnel, it arrives on your machine at home and is forwarded to the relevant website. The data is received from the website, squirted down the tunnel at you and displays in your browser.

3 comments:

Newcastle Photos said...

WHOOSH! (That's the sound of something flying right over the top of my head) :)

mmChronic said...

<G>

I've just done part two of the plan as above and it works a treat. Incredibly fast browsing - but all encrypted and routed through my home LAN so nosey network monkeys can't see a thing (including addresses of sites surfed) except for a stream of encryped data.

mmChronic said...

Nope. I'm just avoiding potential future problems with monkeys. There'll be no trace whatsoever of any surfing at all from yesterday onwards.

Next I'll be mostly trying out GhostZilla as mentioned in the Surf At Work tutorial.

I've just realised this is the closest we'll get to a tunnel report for a very long time! Parp!