Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Top 10 Most Violent Video Games

I missed this - it's dated 23 Nov 04 - but it just HAS to get a post, it's so damn' ludicrous:

1. Doom 3
2. Grand Theft Auto: ?San Andreas"
3. Gunslinger Girls 2
4. Half Life 2
5. Halo 2
6. Hitman: Blood Money
7. Manhunt
8. Mortal Kombat
9. Postal 2
10. Shadow Heart
Reading the rest of the article and their rantings about violence towards women and minorities being bad (but towards straight white guys is fine, I conclude) then we must assume that their problem with Doom is that Hell Spawn are a) a minority and b) female. That Gunslinger Girls 2 is a major problem in the US because, being a relatively obscure Japanese import title, it's done incredible well to make #3. I've no idea how they know what Hitman: Blood Money will be like, since it's not released for a few months yet. And I think the same arguments that applied to Doom apply to Halo 2 ('cept they're aliens rather than hell spawn. But *female* aliens, obviously).

Go read the whole thing if you want to pull it apart, a lot of it is majorly weak. I particularly like how they cite video games systems in bedrooms (meaning content can't be monitored, presumably) as a problem for the industry -- and not the parents who allow kids to have them there.

Isn't it the job parents to... you know.. um... parent?

GAH!

EDIT: Since Bungers has been complaining, I've retroactively added a bunch of icons to some of today's posts. (And so, apparently, has someone else -- since when was 2004 retro?)

11 comments:

mmChronic said...

2004 is just so last year!

And that'll be Bungers using his new Powah of Administry.

bungers said...

hehehe...

Wasn't me, can't prove anything, no one saw me do it.. ;)

I thought that was mmC, and we were having a 'Battle of the Icons'!!

Merg said...

Until such time as he learns to not add massive amounts of spurious space and semi-irrelevent icons, I suggest you a) remove it and b) break his legs.

But b)'s just because I played some of those nasty, violent games.

Merg said...

On seconds thoughts, leave the powah and remove his hands.

mmChronic said...

He's only going to use the Powah for adding icons to your posts - if you are adding icons he won't be touching anything.

He's already been warned about even looking at the temapate area! ;)

Merg said...

He added approximately 17 trillion icons and vast swathes of extra white-space to this post, which I've since corrected.

As for the template stuff... I can't imagine why anyone would want to go near it -- there's lots of it, so I take the "leave it alone, it works!" attitude...

Although I did contemplate sealing icons in a float-left div so they'd be vertically stacked instead of horizontally... but while that fixes the too-many-icons problem, it also makes a short post much taller in some cases so I feel the trade-off isn't worth the breakage, so to speak.

mmChronic said...

I've just read the linked article - what a pile of shiat!

Many, many ludicrous points but here are a couple fo my favourites:
"urge retailers to stop selling violent games" - if retailers took away their sales of games like GTA:SA, Halo 2, HL2 and Doom 3 there wouldn't be many retailers left as it has to be the bulk of their sales.

"find out what their internet service providers are doing to prevent children from purchasing or playing violent video games online
" - so ISPs should put something in place that can detect if it is my child that is accessing the net from my home network or me and if so prevent access to certain items on every online store? Fsckwits.

Merg said...

Told you it was seriously weak.

I'm of the opinion that many games out there aren't suitable for kids. But that's the job of parents, not programmers, publishers, ISPs, schools, dogcatchers, passing gypsies, alien life forms or Geoffrey, Bungle and Zippy.

Mind, I do think retailers should restrict sales of M-rated goes to over 18s or whatever, in much the same way movie sales are restricted (at least in theory). I consider that a reasonable restriction... but beyond that, parents should do their damn' job.

mmChronic said...

All the games the bairn buys are ok'd by us first. Although ok'd is probably too strong a term for the Sims - grudgingly agreed I think is the term.

If parents can't be arsed to do that then they've got no right squealing about violent video games when little Johhny stabs someone presumably in the hope they can sue Rockstar or whoever for mental anguish.

Merg said...

Well, the classic is "we didn't know they had it" ... they could, say, not give them the money for the games, monitor what their kids do, keep consoles in communal areas, etc. -- there's tons of ways of keeping some track on what kids do.

Same goes for kids on the internet...

As I said, drives me nuts.

Free Games said...

Manhunt should be on top of the list.